Lisa Rasmussen MFA
Specialty: Celebrating the Transformative and Healing power of Art within all people.Through, Individual and Communal Engagement, Connection, and Empowerment through the Arts.
Professional Artist, Transformative Arts Educator and Advocate, Creativity Coach, Consultant. Co-Founder and Director at Art 4 All People LLC, Co-Founding Director of Non-Profit Art is Moving.
Over 13 years experience in transformative art teaching experience with adults, elders, and children. Taught and Developed and facilitated therputic transformative arts programming for underserved/at-risk communities. Inclusive of Seniors, At-Risk Youth, Chronically Ill Children and their Families, Severely Traumatized Abused Children.
Pioneered Transformative Art Program at mental health institute in Oakland for SED youth ages 5-14. Inclusive of expressive art therapy curriculum and build bridges into the wider community through youth public art installations, community exhibitions, and gallery fundraising exhibitions.
Co-Creator of Art is Moving’s, Art Break Day. An global day of Art advocacy in communties around the world. International Art Break Day and the ART cart- Facilitated free art making with thousands of people in the Bay Area. For over 6 years I have Co-Founded and Managed the International Art Break Day sites in India, West Africa, Australia, USA, and Mexico.
Co- Creator and faciliator of Art 4 All People’s YogART Way. The YogART Way: Is an innovative tool for transformation and well being.At the heart of all of our healing arts (YogART) programming is a sense of empowering each individual to regain a sense of harmony, reverence, and balance, to awaken inner resources for healing and creativity.The YogART Way is a new language of transformation. It is holistic modality which weaves various transformative practices, such as breath, meditation, creative visualization, art making, yoga, movement,creative writing, coaching,and witnessing into one experience.
Planned implemented, and facilitated the opening, curation, and management of three fine art galleries and an Art center.
Fine Art Sales-Sold the works of Rembrandt, Picasso, Dali, Chagall, and other masters at Weinstein in San Francisco and Merrill Chase in Chicago. Sold African sculptiure at Spirits in Stone in Sausalito,CA
Taught ESL in China to professionals.
2008-present : Art is Moving, 501c3 Art Organization Co-founder, Director and Art Facilitator
As Co-Founding Director and co-manage all aspects of Art is Moving. I take part in both online and in public community art projects focused on cultivating the public to become more empowered through art. Also, I have facilitated the art making process with thousands of adults, children, and elders in public spaces, festivals, art walks, and private events with the ARTcart. http://artismovingnow.com
2010-present: Art is Moving’s International ART break Day, Co-founder, Director, Event Organizer, Manager, Fundraiser, and Art Facilitator
ART break Day is an annual free community ART reach event that encourages cultural exchange, communal bounding through the act of making art for free in public space with free and abundant art supplies. Communities and 1000′s of individuals from all walks of life and continents take a break in the daily routine with the creative process. Inclusive of India, Mexico, West Africa, and the USA. ARTbreak Day participants who leave Take 5: ARTbreak Day’s free art making sites were filled with joy and pure gratitude for having such an amazing opportunity to create, connect, and be inspired by their own imagination and the fellowship of humanity. http://www.artismovingnow.com/artbreakday.html
2012 -Present Art 4 All Peoples LLC, Co-Founding Director, Curator, and Transformative Arts Practitioner
Art 4 All People, LLC, is an award-winning arts advocacy organization as well as a Space for Art, Creativity, Consciousness, and Well-being, established in Malibu, California in 2012. The mission of Art 4 All People is for art to be accessible to everyone. We provide a place for spirited exchange, self-expression and personal transformation through creativity. Our organization offers a holistic paradigm that the experience of viewing, collecting and creating art should be available to everyone.
Art 4 All People views art as a catalyst for empowerment and healing. Art 4 All People believes in liberating art from the confines of the studio, museum and the hands of professional artists. Rather, we foster every person’s development and engagement as an artist. Art 4 All People’s local and international programs reach beyond the traditional boundaries of art. We host yoga workshops, art retreats, nature treks, community outreach events, gallery exhibits, training programs, an online gallery, an Art is Life product line, an artist representation agency, and our signature program YogART (Yoga and Art). Art 4 All People serves local communities through its art volunteerism projects, Co-Founders Lisa and Ceylan have taught at Yoga Studies and Institutions throughout California. Like Yoga Tree in San Francisco, JFKU Arts and Consciousness Program in Berkeley, San Francisco State, and the Institute for Arts and Healing at Commonweal.
2006-2010: Lincoln Child Center, Oakland, CA Art/Activity Therapist
- Pioneered Transformative Art Program-.Inclusive of creating own expressive art therapy curriculum and build bridges into the wider community through youth public art installations and gallery fundraising exhibitions
- Worked with Severely Emotionally Disturbed (SED) kids. Developed therapeutic curriculum and mentorship program
- Developed special projects to build links between the children and the larger community.
- Led efforts to display students’ art in professional galleries and public spaces.
- Founded the Phil Harley Youth Professional Gallery on campus
2009 MFA Graduate Program JFKU Berkeley, CA Program Mentor
2008-2009 The Red Door Gallery and Collective, Oakland CA Co-Founder, Curator, Management Team, Community Outreach Gallery Executive Manager and Curator. Gallery promotes community dialogue and provides a space for struggling artists, disadvantaged youth, the elderly, and others to exhibit art
- National Institute of Arts and Disabilities at The Red Door
- “Lineage” collaborated with Art with Elders, Bay Area at The Red Door
- What does art Mean to you?” Lincoln Child Center children’s art“1000 Hearts and Hands” Fundraiser for art program for at-risk youth, ALC and Lincoln Child Center Oakland
2005-2006: Art with Elders, Transformative Art Teacher, Union City, CA
2002-2003: Visiting fellow for Teen Art Explosion
2004: Transformative Art Teacher/Mentor for At-Risk Teens, Teen Art Explosion Substance Abuse Program, Alternative High School, Rogers, AR
- Developed and implemented a transformative art curriculum.
- Used art mentoring as a tool for transformation to empower at-risk youth.
- Cutting-edge work with kids made the cover story of Dreamtime, the official magazine of the International Association for the Study of Dreams.
Summer 2002:ESL Teacher, Guangzhou Practical English and French School, Guangzhou, People’s Republic of China
- Taught beginning and intermediate English immersion to persons ranging from business professionals & young adults to teens and children.
2001:Teaching Assistant, Introduction to Dreams and Dream Work: Dream Group Leadership instructed by Prof. Jeremy Taylor, Graduate Theological Union
1997-2005: Fine Arts Consultant, Spirits in Stone Galleries, Sausalito, CA,Merrill Chase Gallery, Chicago, IL Franklin Bowles/Modern Masters/Dyansen Galleries, San Francisco:Provided excellent client service, developed collector relations, served as educator to the public. Studied, exhibited, and sold the works of Rembrandt, Max, Dali, Chagall, Picasso
Community Art Projects
- 2015 Co-Creater & Organizer of YogART Flash Mob with Art 4 All People in San Francisco
- 2014: Art and Healing Conference Panel Guest Speaker and Co-Workshop Teacher. University of San Francisco State.
- 2013: MUSE: The Art of Transformation and Healing Exhibition, Film Screening, and YogART Fest at the Institute of Art and Healing at Commonweal in Bolinas, CA
- 2011:ARTcart LA at the Wake Up CA Rally, Art Advocacy Art Facilitator,http://www.artsforla.org/news/parents-and-teachers-rally-support-education
- 2010- Present: ARTbreak Day, Co-Director and Co-Founder, San Francisco Bay Area & Los Angeles
- ARTcart, Co-Director and Co-Founder, San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles, 2009-Present
- The ART of Transformation, Youth Art Fundraiser, Co-Director and Founder, Sausalito, CA 2007-2010
- 1000 Hearts and Hands, Director, Curator, and Art Facilitator, Oakland, CA 2009-2010
- Lincoln Child Centers At risk-Youth Photography Program, Founder, Oakland, CA 2010
- Festival of Hope, Youth Art Exhibition, Oakland, CA 2007-2010
- Youth Eco Trail, Founder and Director, Oakland, CA 2010
Selected Curated Exhibitions
- The Institute for Arts and Healing Gallery, MUSE: The Art of Transformation and Healing at Commonweal in Bolinas, CA
- IGM Gallery, at USC, Interconnectivity Group Exhibition in Los Angeles, CA 2014
- IGM Gallery, at USC, Bridge to the Soul Group Exhibition in Los Angeles, CA 2014
- Art 4 All People Gallery, Bridge to the Soul Group exhibition in Malibu, CA 2013
- Art 4 All People Gallery, Phoenix Rising Group Exhibition in Malibu, CA 2013
- Art 4 All People Gallery, Sustainability Group Exhibition in Malibu, CA 2012
- Art 4 All People Gallery, Local Visions Group Exhibitions in Malibu, CA 2012
- Art 4 All People Gallery, Mother Group Exhibition in Malibu, CA 2012
- The Red Door Gallery, Insights of Life from the Shadows of Death, The Red Door Gallery and Collective, Oakland, CA, 2009
- The Red Door Gallery, Myth, Magic, and Mystery, Oakland, CA, 2009
- The Red Door Gallery, Small Works in a Big Space, Oakland CA, 2009
- The Red Door Gallery, Lineage, The Red Door Gallery, Oakland, CA, 2009
- The Red Door Gallery, Art and the Body Politic, Oakland, CA 2009
- The Red Door Gallery, Portals, CA, 2008
- B.A. Studio Arts, Sculpture: The University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR
- MFA; Coursework in Arts & Consciousness (Transformative Art) John F. Kennedy University, Berkeley, CA
- Coursework in Art History & Ceramics: Lorenzo de Medici, Florence, Italy
- Alumni of the Year Award, John F. Kennedy University Graduate Studies, 2013
- Selected Inspirational Artist for the International Peace Project Traveling Exhibition, 2011 http://www.thewhole9.com/thepeaceproject-home.php
- Nominated for Oakland Indie Awards 2010
- ARTcart grant, Koreatown Northgate, Oakland 2009
- Outstanding Graduate Student of the Year: John F. Kennedy University Graduate Program: Holistic Studies (2008)
- International exposure and sacred site travel includes travel to Peru, Nepal, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Amsterdam, Singapore, France, China, Italy, Ireland, Japan, Guam, Ireland ,Costa Rica
Publications, Reviews, and Interviews
- 2013 Interview with the Arts and Healing Network Podcast http://tinyurl.com/nzau6cj
- 2011, Article, Diverse group embraces open offer to create art: Jill Tucker, San Francisco Chronicle http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/02/BAOG1KVJN2.DTL#ixzz1XD24WQop
- 2011, Article, Forget your coffee break! Take an art break insteadSteven E.F. Brown, San Francisco Business Times http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2011/09/02/forget-your-coffee-break-take-an-art.htm
- 2011, Article, Art Break Day: A chance to take a moment to create: Mary Ellen Hunt, San Francisco Chronicle: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/31/NSJL1KRCBV.DTL#ixzz1XD3x7GkI
- 2011, Newspaper Photo Credit,http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/31/NSJL1KRCBV.DTL#ixzz1XD3x7GkI
- 2011, Article, Take 5′ and make some art: By Jennifer Modenessi,Oakland Tribune http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_18788439?IADID=Search-www.insidebayarea.com-www.insidebayarea.com
- 2011 Article, ARTcart LA at the Wake Up CA Rally, http://www.artsforla.org/news/parents-and-teachers-rally-support-education
- 2011, Blog Photo Credit http://www.artsforla.org/news/parents-and-teachers-rally-support-education
- 2011, Video, Artist Spotlight at ROOM Gallery, San Rafael, CA http://blip.tv/episode/5227676
- 2010, Article, “Arkansas Artists in the Spotlight” Leslie Peacock, The Arkansas Times, http://www.arktimes.com/EyeCandy/archives/2010/07/13/arkansas-artists-in-spotlight
- 2010 Radio Interview with E-Marie, Engaging Children with ART,http://www.blogtalkradio.com/e-marie-robertson/2010/06/05/engaging-children-with-art
- 2009 Radio Interview with Amy Conger of Straw into Gold,http://www.blogtalkradio.com/strawintogold/2009/09/23/art-that-moves-the-power-of-art-in-community
- 2009, Article, Kristin Bender reports on the ARTcart! Project-Oakland Tribune, http://artismoving.blogspot.com/2009/09/artcart-spotlights-neighborhoods.html
- 2009 Article, Dewitt Cheng reviews- Insights of Life from the Shadows of Deathhttp://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/berserkers/Content?oid=1370768
- 2009 Radio KPFA Interview on Against the Grain (Jan. 20th)http://artismovingnow.com/soonginterview.wav
- 2009 Article,Dewitt Cheng review Art and the Body Politick*http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/rear-view-mirror/Content?oid=1176174
- 2008 Review Portals, Cameron Thrash, http://treeshrines-artistlisarasmussen.blogspot.com/2010/03/art-review.html
- 2008 Video, Help them Soar, LCC feature about my Transformative Art and Healing Program, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj9qP7iBYXw
- 2003, Featured Artist and Cover artist, International Association for the Study of Dreams, Dream Time Magazine
- 2003 Featured Artist, Meaning of Dreams, UK,http://www.realmeaningofdreams.com/lisamarierasmussen.html
- 2003, Cover artist, Electric Dreams, http://dreamgate.hypermart.net/ed-covers/ed10-1cov.jpg
- 2002, ART and Project featured, Artistic Contributor in the Book,Shadowboxes and Shrines, Rockport Publishers http://www.amazon.com/Making-Shadow-Boxes-Shrines-Cano-Murillo/dp/1564968952/ref=cm_rdp_product_img
Selected Solo Exhibitions
- Broken Drum, San Rafael, CA 2011-2012
- JFKU Gallery. Caol Ait (Thin Places) Berkeley, CA 2008
- JFKU, Dreaming the Earth, Berkeley, CA 2008
- Color Graphics, Corporate Exhibition, San Francisco, CA 2008-2010
- The Red Door Gallery, Portals, Oakland, CA 2008
- Ay Atelier, Online 2012-Present
- Terra Firma Gallery, San Rafael, CA, 2011-2012
- ROOM Gallery, San Rafael, CA 2010-2011
- Studio 333, Sausalito, CA 2007-2009
Selected Group Exhibitions
- PEACE PROJECT
- October 22, 2011 – Gallery9, 6101 Washington Blvd., Culver City, CA
- November 4, 2011 – EXPO Arts Center, 4321 Atlantic Avenue, Long Beach
- November 9, 2011 – Swarm Gallery, 560 Second Street, Oakland, CA
- November 2011– Aperture Gallery, New York, NY
- January 7,2012 – Showcase Gallery, Santa Ana, CA
- LAUSD, Save the Arts Benefit, Los Angeles, CA 2011
- JFKU Gallery, Alumni Exhibition, Berkeley, CA 2010
- Gallery Route One, 24th Annual Juried Show, Juror: Jeremy Morgan , Point Reyes, CA 2009
- The Red Door Gallery, ART and the Body Poltick, Oakland, CA 2009
- The Red Door Gallery, Myth, Magic, and Mystery, Oakland, CA 2009
- JFKU Gallery, Graduate Exhibition, Berkeley, CA 2008
- JFKU Gallery, 2×2 Exhibition, Berkeley, CA 2007
- JFKU Gallery, Dreaming Mind with NIAD, Berkeley, CA 2005
- Association for the Study of Dreams, International Art Exhibition, Boston, MA 2002
Permanent Public Collections
- Alameda County Family Justice Center, Oakland CA